Weather Updates
Monday, March 27, 2023

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Join?

See our list of Membership Benefits

How do I become a Member?

Go to our Member Forms page and fill out a new membership application form and submit to Dogs Victoria together with a copy of Photo ID.

Why should I choose a purebred dog?

For more information visit our Why choose a Purebred Dog page and read our All About Purebred Dogs booklet

How do I know what kind of breed is best for me?

For more information visit our Choosing a Breed page.

How do I find the right breeder?

For more information visit our Choosing a Breeder page.

How do I get in contact with breeders?

For more information visit our Breed Information & Registered Breeders page.

What is the Main Register and the Limited Register?

Click here to read about the Dogs Victoria Registers

Do I need to microchip my puppy?

For more information visit our Keeping your Dog Safe page.

Do I need to transfer my dog into my name?

Yes, even if you do not plan to breed, show or trial your dog, it is a good idea to transfer your dog into your name. It is also recommended in the case your dog is lost, a search on our database using the microchip number will show you as the owner of the dog making it possible to return your dog to you. This is also a good reason to notify our office when you move.

Transferring the dog also shows that you are the legal owner of the dog. Should you ever decide to breed or enter shows and require the registration certificate, the process will be much easier if you are already recorded as the owner on our system. Also, in the event you may lose your registration certificate you do not need to contact the breeder to apply for a duplicate certificate on your behalf.  However, if you do plan to breed, show or trial your dog you will need to become a member of Dogs Victoria.

How do I transfer my dog?

To transfer your dog, you must have the original pedigree certificate supplied by the breeder and the breeders signature must be present on the reverse side. Fill in your own details sign and post in with required fee for transfer to Dogs Victoria. We will transfer the dog into your name and send you a new pedigree certificate with your name as the owner.

You do not need to be a member to transfer your puppy, however, you cannot transfer a main registered dog (blue certificate) as a non-member. You will need to be a member to do this. As a non-member you are only permitted to transfer a dog on the limited register (orange certificate).

You should also ensure you transfer your dog with your local council, you should have received documentation from the Breeder which you must take to your local council, the form is also available on the office of local government website.

What is the difference between a “Registered Breeder” and a “Registered Breeder with Dogs Victoria”?

A person may advertise as a “Registered Breeder” but this does not mean that they are a member of Dogs Victoria as they may be registered with their local council as a Domestic Animal Business.

Being a member of Dogs Victoria, a person is bound to rules, regulations & a code of ethics in regards to breeding, must register all puppies bred by them and can only breed one of the recognised breeds with the Australian National Kennel Council.

Should you encounter any problems with a breeder, Dogs Victoria is only in a position to help you if they are a member of Dogs Victoria. Please see our Compliance FAQ section for more information.

How many recognised breeds are there in Australia?

There are over 200 recognised breeds in Australia and each was bred for a specific purpose and has a breed standard, some of which have been around for hundreds of years.

A full list of all Recognised Breeds in Australia can be found on the Australian National Kennel Club Website 

Do you deal with Cross Breeds?

Yes and No.  Our core purpose is to protect and promote the Pure Breed varieties of dogs and our members are not permitted to breed cross bred varieties of dog as per the rules & regulations.  However, members can own cross bred dogs on our Associate Register and compete in performance disciplines with them.

Can you put me in touch with a breeder?

If you ring the Dogs Victoria office or visit the website, we can direct you to the associated breed club for a particular breed of dog that you are after.  We do not have a list of breeders for cross breed dog varieties.

How do I become a Registered Breeder?

  1. Join Dogs Victoria and achieve a minimum period of 12 months continuous membership.
  2. Become the registered owner of a female purebred dog you wish to breed with by transferring the dog in your name, so that your name appears as the owner on the Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Main Register)
  3. Complete and pass the Breeders Prefix Accreditation Program – Open Book Exam.  This exam is intended to raise the level of accreditation of member breeders.
  4. Apply for a Registration of a Breeders Prefix which will identify all dogs bred by you. A Breeders Prefix is often referred to as your Kennel name. 
  5. Ensure that the Sire (Father) that you have chosen to mate to your bitch is owned either by a financial member of Dogs Victoria or an interstate Controlling Body.

In accordance with VCA Regulations you are not permitted to breed a litter prior to registration of your Prefix.  Once you become a member of Dogs Victoria, the VCA Regulations state you may only breed with pedigree dogs on the Main Register of the ANKC database.  Any breach of the VCA Regulations whilst a member of Dogs Victoria are reported to the Compliance Team and could result in disciplinary action.
Dogs Victoria also encourages members to read the Guidelines for Breeders document BEFORE considering breeding their dog.

How do I enter a dog show?

For more information see pages 6 & 7 of our Dogs N Shows booklet which covers Online & Paper/Postal Entries.

When is the next dog show?

For more information visit our Shows and Trials Calendar page.

Do I have legal responsibilities as a dog owner?

For more information visit our Law and You page.

Where can I take my dog?

For more information visit our Dog Walks and Travel page.


For more information visit our Scale of Charges page.

Can I adopt or buy a dog at Dogs Victoria?

No. As a member of Dogs Victoria you can visit our venues at KCC Park (State Dog Centre) in Skye or Bulla Exhibition Centre in Bulla, map directions here, and participate in a variety of activities and events with your registered dog.

I have written to Dogs Victoria – what happens next?

Depending on the nature of your correspondence, your letter or email may be forwarded to the monthly Management Committee for their consideration. As a result, it may be some weeks before you receive a formal response.