Weather Updates
Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Join?

See our list of Membership Benefits

How do I become a Member?

Fill out a membership application form print it out and submit to Dogs Victoria together with a copy of Photo ID.

Why should I choose a purebred dog?

For more information visit our Why choose a Purebred Dog page and read our All About Purebred Dogs booklet

How do I know what kind of breed is best for me?

For more information visit our Choosing a Breed page.

How do I find the right breeder?

For more information visit our Choosing a Breeder page.

How do I get in contact with breeders?

For more information visit our Breed Information & Registered Breeders page.

What is the Main Register and the Limited Register?

Click here to read about the Dogs Victoria Registers

Do I need to microchip my puppy?

For more information visit our Keeping your Dog Safe page.

Do I need to transfer my dog into my name?

Yes, even if you do not plan to breed, show or trial your dog, it is a good idea to transfer your dog into your name. It is also recommended in the case your dog is lost, a search on our database using the microchip number will show you as the owner of the dog making it possible to return your dog to you. This is also a good reason to notify our office when you move.

Transferring the dog also shows that you are the legal owner of the dog. Should you ever decide to breed or enter shows and require the registration certificate, the process will be much easier if you are already recorded as the owner on our system. Also, in the event you may lose your registration certificate you do not need to contact the breeder to apply for a duplicate certificate on your behalf.

However, if you do plan to breed, show or trial your dog you will need to become a member of Dogs Victoria.

How do I transfer my dog?

To transfer your dog, you must have the original pedigree certificate supplied by the breeder and the breeders signature must be present on the reverse side. Fill in your own details sign and post in with required fee for transfer to Dogs Victoria. We will transfer the dog into your name and send you a new pedigree certificate with your name as the owner.

You do not need to be a member to transfer your puppy, however, you cannot transfer a main registered dog (blue certificate) as a non-member. You will need to be a member to do this. As a non-member you are only permitted to transfer a dog on the limited register (orange certificate).

You should also ensure you transfer your dog with your local council, you should have received documentation from the Breeder which you must take to your local council, the form is also available on the office of local government website.

Do I have to own a pedigree dog to become a member?

No. Many members of our Associate members own a crossbreed dog and enter in Agility & Obedience Trials. You can also become an Associate member which entitles you to Dogs Victoria magazine every month.

How do I become a Registered Breeder?

  1. Join Dogs Victoria and achieve a minimum period of 12 months continuous membership.
  2. Become the registered owner of a female purebred dog you wish to breed with by transferring the dog in your name, so that your name appears as the owner on the Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Main Register)
  3. Complete and pass the Breeders Prefix Accreditation Program – Open Book Exam.  This exam is intended to raise the level of accreditation of member breeders.
  4. Apply for a Registration of a Breeders Prefix which will identify all dogs bred by you. A Breeders Prefix is often referred to as your Kennel name. 
  5. Ensure that the Sire (Father) that you have chosen to mate to your bitch is owned either by a financial member of Dogs Victoria or an interstate Controlling Body.

N.B. In accordance with VCA Regulations you are not permitted to breed a litter prior to registration of your Prefix.

Once you become a member of Dogs Victoria, in accordance with the Regulations, you may only breed with pedigree dogs on the Main Register of the ANKC database.

Any breach of the VCA Regulations whilst a member of Dogs Victoria are reported to the Compliance Team and could result in disciplinary action.

How do I enter a dog show?

For more information see pages 6 & 7 of our Dogs N Shows booklet which covers Online & Paper/Postal Entries.

When is the next dog show?

For more information visit our Shows and Trials Calendar page.

Do I have legal responsibilities as a dog owner?

For more information visit our Law and You page.

Where can I take my dog?

For more information visit our Dog Walks and Travel page.


For more information visit our Scale of Charges page.

Can I adopt or buy a dog at Dogs Victoria?

No. As a member of Dogs Victoria you can visit our venues at KCC Park (State Dog Centre) in Skye or Bulla Exhibition Centre [insert map as per separate attachment in email] and participate in a variety of activities and events with your registered dog.

Suggested contacts

I have written to Dogs Victoria – what happens next?

Depending on the nature of your correspondence, your letter or email may be forwarded to the monthly Management Committee for their consideration. As a result, it may be some weeks before you receive a formal response.