Weather Updates
Monday, March 19, 2018

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need to transfer my dog into my name?

Yes, even if you do not plan to breed, show or trial your dog, it is a good idea to transfer your dog into your name. It is also recommended in the case your dog is lost, a search on our database using the microchip number will show you as the owner of the dog making it possible to return your dog to you. This is also a good reason to notify our office when you move.

Transferring the dog also shows that you are the legal owner of the dog. Should you ever decide to breed or enter shows and require the registration certificate, the process will be much easier if you are already recorded as the owner on our system. Also, in the event you may lose your registration certificate you do not need to contact the breeder to apply for a duplicate certificate on your behalf.

How do I transfer my dog?

To transfer your dog, you must have the original pedigree certificate supplied by the breeder and the breeders signature must be present on the reverse side. Fill in your own details sign and post in with required fee for transfer to Dogs Victoria. We will transfer the dog into your name and send you a new pedigree certificate with your name as the owner.

You do not need to be a member to transfer your puppy, however, you cannot transfer a main registered dog (blue certificate) as a non-member. You will need to be a member to do this. As a non-member you are only permitted to transfer a dog on the limited register (orange certificate).

You should also ensure you transfer your dog with your local council, you should have received documentation from the Breeder which you must take to your local council, the form is also available on the office of local government website.

How do I become a registered breeder?

  1. Join Dogs Victoria and achieve a minimum period of 12 months continuous membership.
  2. Become the registered owner of a female purebred dog you wish to breed with by transferring the dog in your name, so that your name appears as the owner on the Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Main Register)
  3. Ensure that the Sire (Father) that you have chosen to mate to your bitch is owned either by a financial member of Dogs Victoria or an interstate Controlling Body.
  4. Complete and pass the Breeders Prefix Accreditation Program – Open Book Exam.  This exam is intended to raise the level of accreditation of member breeders.
  5. Apply for a Registration of a Breeders Prefix which will identify all dogs bred by you. A Breeders Prefix is often referred to as your Kennel name. 

N.B. In accordance with VCA Regulations you are not permitted to breed a litter prior to registration of your Prefix.

Once you become a member of Dogs Victoria, in accordance with the Regulations, you may only breed with pedigree dogs on the Main Register of the ANKC database.

Any breach of the VCA Regulations whilst a member of Dogs Victoria are reported to the Compliance Team and could result in disciplinary action.

How do I enter a dog show?

For more information see pages 6 & 7 of our Dogs N Shows booklet which covers Online & Paper/Postal Entries.
The Official Partner and Preferred Online Entry Provider for Dogs Victoria subcommittee conformation events is Show Manager.
A link to the Show Manager website can be found at the top of this page and accessed by clicking on their logo. 

When is the next dog show?

For more information visit our Shows and Trials Calendar page.

Do I have legal responsibilities as a dog owner?

For more information visit our Law and You page.

Where can I take my dog?

For more information visit our Dog Walks and Travel page.


For more information visit our Scale of Charges page.

What is the procedure for Clubs when contracting an overseas judge

  1. The four page document entitled Judging Application for “Person Not a Resident of Australia” should be forwarded to the judge, together with the ANKC Ltd judges contract.
  2. The judge should be requested to obtain from his/her National Controlling Body a letter verifying the breed/s for which he/she is eligible to award CC’s in his/her country of residence.
  3. The judge should return the three documents to the contracting club as soon as possible.
  4. When the contracting club has received the documents from the judge, they are to be forwarded to Dogs Victoria together with a cheque made payable to the ANKC Ltd.
    1. Applications received by Dogs Victoria nine months prior to the first show $50
    2. Applications received by Dogs Victoria less than nine months prior to first show $100
    3. A tax invoice will be issued by the ANKC Ltd upon request. Such request must be included with the documents lodged with Dogs Victoria. Only clubs registered for GST will require this invoice.
  5. Dogs Victoria will then forward the application to the ANKC Ltd, and advise the contracting club when approval is granted.
  6. The Judging Application for a Person Not a Resident of Australia should contain the date of the contracting club’s show, and the name of any clubs that may be sub-contracting the judge together with their show dates.

Please contact Janet at

The ANKC Ltd will not accept out of date forms. Applications submitted on out of date forms will be returned to the club.

Change of Contact Details

Any changes to your contact details ie. address, phone number/s or email, must be made in writing to Dogs Victoria to affect this update on your member record. Written notifications can be via post, email or fax. It is important that we receive written notification so that we can verify the request has come direct from the member in question. This maintains our database integrity and ensures your personal information is protected and recorded correctly.

I have written to Dogs Victoria – what happens next?

Depending on the nature of your correspondence, your letter or email may be forwarded to the monthly Management Committee for their consideration. As a result, it may be some weeks before you receive a formal response.

Who do I call if I have a query regarding my Petplan Insurance?

All insurance queries should be directed to Chris Chapman from Petplan.  He can be contacted on 0411 265 746 or via email to